Most of direct business marketers have embraced the idea of social media with open arms. One of the reasons could be that business marketers tend to wear their direct marketing hats while devising strategy for applying social media to marketing objectives. Therefore business marketer gets a lot of measurable value from social media, and they pull it all together to become of a member of a full fledged integrated marketing mix.
In this year Social Media Marketing Industry Report, 58% of marketers said they were using it to generate sales. Small businesses were more focused around 65% to use social media for generating sales.
So let’s discuss 5 Direct Marketing principles that apply to Social Media Marketing:
- Targeting: Direct marketing is not about reaching millions of people which is already present in any of the social mediasites but delivering targeted messages to individuals who are interested in any of the company offerings. Social media makes the process quite simple by creating content and promotions that brings your leads closer to you.
- Teasing: Strike the customers with carrier envelope, catalog cover or email subject line to tease them and get attention. This is same with Facebook and Twitter. Most of the shares or re-tweets happens when you tease your followers with question or an interesting statement.
- Engaging: If you want to use direct marketing than engage your users with useful content and a personal oriented approach. Social media greatest value is the ability for one to one engagement and the liberty to have personal conversation with the followers.
- Time for Action: Similar to direct marketing, the best social media marketing campaign emphasize a call to action that forces the followers to respond to a specific request. Get inspired from discounts, offers, invitations, contest, and pollsby visiting different Facebook users.
- Measurement: Even social media can give you the pleasure of measurementand testing the approaches. You will know within minutes whether fans are interested in your posts or not.
Direct marketers achieve success by targeting their focused groups, on the interests and needs of the prospects, using great content to engage prospect and make a compelling offer to generate a response. Social media goes hand in hand all the way through the phases of direct marketing.